AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chevy Suburban 6.5 diesel -96 good / bad?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 11/29/2015 00:49 (#4925631 - in reply to #4920272)
Subject: RE: Chevy Suburban 6.5 diesel -96 good / bad?

NW KS/ SC ID
Traveling Man - 11/26/2015 11:14

Cattle Feeder - 11/26/2015 17:07

OH don't say that,,,,,,, The 6.5s were the GM version of a Massey combine.

I once had 5.7 diesel and I promised myself never again....but, never say never. If 6.5 is Massey combine, what is 5.7? How does Ford 6.0 rate on this game? :)

The 5.7L Oldsmobile was fairly bad in stock form, moreso on the early ones. late ones were better. (DX block, etc)

Due to the flop that was the 5.7L powered half ton pickups, GM commissioned the then-owned-by-GM Detroit Diesel to design a light duty diesel, with fuel economy and durability as the priorities, and so the 6.2L came to life. Not after GM screwed with the Detroit design though, Detroit wanted a forged crank and a few other things GM got rid of. It is still a 4 bolt main capped engine who's bottom end makes the 5.7L look rather small.

The 6.5L is a bored out and turboed 6.2L with a one piece rear main seal.

So while it won't ever be a 12 valve Cummins, it is not nearly as bad as it was made out to be.

I jokingly tell my buddy with a 6.0L that a 6.5L is a 6.0L with a tick more reliability, 1/4 the parts cost, and only 1/2 to 2/3s the power. :)

Basically the 6.0L is a modern day 6.5L, a design who's issues are blown out of proportion, and such issues can be eliminated with a little maintenance, knowledge, and a few aftermarket parts.

The good thing about them is the reputation makes them very cheap to aquire. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)