AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low risk rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 11/22/2015 13:05 (#4912862 - in reply to #4912462)
Subject: RE: Coup I see where

northern MN

I see where you are going with this. I would take that if it were guaranteed, "here" we are bidding our machined for free and making the assumption of record production year after year.

This whole thing has swung too far in the landowners direction. A few large farms that I can only assume are padding retirement accounts or funneling money away from the farm have bid all profit (plus) at average away. Unlike Corn, "here" soybeans is like playing defense all the time. Wheat can only be hedged 18 months in advance without very creative marketing (that I am not aware of). Sugar production is a wild card but owning 50+% of my land and 68% of my beet shares I funnel all my ownership opportunity costs into the income stream I still am not able to compete with the interstate farm. (I know a run on sentence, typing is tough this morning my wrist is bad) I am projecting that over half of my ownership income is being ate up by production costs. I had first and last chance on a neighboring farm this fall, the high bid was to high so I declined. I don't know but I think the new tenant may be against a wall and needs more. Something has to give, responsible farms are being lost, families are being divided and cost of production has skyrocketed.

There was  a time I could look at what some of these guys were doing and understand it. For example a large farm comes in and raises $6 corn when I am raising rotation crops at 115% of cop. that made sence, no longer is that applicable. Today it is just speculation that is driving some. Growth has to fund itself  especially if it is leased, there are no economies of scale gained if you cant make production expenses back.

So yeah, if you guarantee me 15%, you be I would take it. its a better deal than I have.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)