AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For the single guys--Would you give up your farm for a woman?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John SD
Posted 9/24/2015 02:38 (#4805559 - in reply to #4805505)
Subject: RE: For the single guys--Would you give up your farm for a woman?

Chad H - 9/23/2015 21:38

In most townships (36 sq miles) here there are 7-10 farm sites and 5-7 actual farmers. Towns within 20 miles are sub 200 population with no real industry. I can't really blame a woman for not wanting to live out here. As a single guy, who is a fair bit younger than most neighbors, I really don't want to be out here myself at times, especially winter.

I'm 53 yrs old, can't work anymore so I'm pretty much retired, and in declining health. Some day age/health might force me to move to town in order to be closer to my drs. That 100 mile trip for dr appts isn't so bad in fair weather, but seems to get a lot longer every winter. Cold winter weather also greatly aggravates my breathing problems. Can't keep oxygen bottles in the car because they leak out, etc.

There are a couple sub-100 population unicorporated "towns" here within 25 miles, each with a few businesses and a school. I really don't see any advantage to moving to a place like that unless for some unforeseen reason the wife really wanted and could be content with a job at one of the businesses or schools to occupy her time. Otherwise it's at least 70 miles to a real town that offers more of the perks of city life.

I have to clear 3 miles of my own road before I get to the blacktop, but I don't consider being snowed in nearly as bad as being snowed out. Been there too trying to get to cattle snowed in at distant summer pasture. Point is, I would not want to live 20 miles from the farm if livestock are involved, especially in winter. The only livestock I have any more are cats, which are self sufficient if they have cat food out for them ;-)

I apologize to the OP for the thread hijack.

Edited by John SD 9/24/2015 02:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)