AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD9670STS feeder house drive issue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jd7730
Posted 8/30/2015 20:52 (#4761730 - in reply to #4761669)
Subject: RE: JD9670STS feeder house drive issue

SE MN
Lots of info here on these drives. Many convert them over to fixed speed to get rid of the variable speed sheave issues. However, what you have should work ok with an 893 head, but you will very likely have to replace parts from time to time. One thing you could very well be having problems with are the cams...the lower sheaves may be binding up and not tightening the belt as the load increases as they are supposed to do. You might take the lower ones apart and look them over and clean them up. They also wear out too. A good greasing habit for the lower sheaves according the Sloan Implement youtube videos on combine maintenance is to grease the two zerks with the one at the 12 o'clock which then puts the other one at the 2 o'clock positions. Put 12 pumps in the 12 o'clock one and 2 pumps in the other, then speed the drive up and down a couple times to distribute the grease. You should do this every day. The upper sheaves also have cams that need grease every so often and they wear out as well. If they wear out then I an pretty sure that only one half of the pulley will drive meaning that it will slip because only one sheave or side of the pulley is driving, but I think you will hear noise or something before it would get that bad, not sure. Your heat is coming from slippage and some is normal, but not excessive. Also, one last thing to check is your feeder house reverser cooler...after you combine for a while stop and put your hand on the lines going to and from the cooler if they are not warm your pump is not circulating the oil. Last year mine was getting hotter than I thought it should be and I noticed this to be the case and it turned out that the oil pump in the reverser had a broken gear and was not pumping any oil and so it essentially had no cooling. The reverser needed to come off to fix it, but then it ran cooler as it should. I wish I had the fixed speed on mine. If you have to replace a couple sheaves on your current drive you can almost convert for the same cost which is likely what I will do someday. Then if your 893 does't run fast enough you can change sprockets on the head to get some more speed, but the feeder house drive will run cool and trouble free like every other belt and pulley on the combine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)