AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Drying question.... I know, I'm early
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

centralillinois
Posted 8/21/2015 21:04 (#4746212 - in reply to #4744313)
Subject: RE: Corn Drying question.... I know, I'm early

Your location would make a difference in how much heat you apply. The further south you are the less likely you would have to turn the gas on. If you have the time to dry with natural air I'd be tempted to just let the air do the job. You don't have any excess horsepower for a bin that size. The bigger the fan the less likely you'd have to use heat. Basically you're fighting time. You'd like to get the corn dry before the weather gets colder and more humid no matter where you are located. Without a stirator I would never consider getting the heat close to 100 degrees. The bottom will dry too much and the top will not get dry enough. In Illinois if a guy has time he can just run the air until the top gets to 17 % and the bottom tests 13%. If you leave it in the bin for six months the moisture will migrate through the corn and the top will get under 16% and the bottom will be 14%. The more heat you use the more you will lower the test weight. Especially the corn at the bottom of the bin. Check the bin frequently so the corn doesn't crust over. good luck
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)