AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Filling bins
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 8/11/2015 16:57 (#4727889 - in reply to #4727481)
Subject: RE: Filling bins

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
rebuilder - 8/11/2015 11:08

NEILFarmer - 8/11/2015 07:58 Ok I guess I'm the odd man out. We leave room to get in bins every year. And leave them level if possible. They keep better level and we check bins every month or so over winter and every week when spring rolls around. Typically that will mean down 1/2 a ring on the outside and maybe just little higher in the middle. Stirator bins have to stay down a ring unless you pile on top with dry corn which we sometimes do. I can't believe how many just fill them up, no wonder you have corn go out of condition. Full to the door so you can't get in and pile that you can't take the peak off is sure to go out of condition come spring.

Sorry Ty, but I have to disagree. I have been doing this too long for it to be a fluke. The rare occasion I have corn start going bad (maybe once every 10 years), it is due to an issue of getting a batch of corn in from the dryer which was a little too wet. It is hard to catch it if I am out in the field harvesting, and I usually make a note to move that corn sooner.

We have filled the bins completely full for more than 35 years.....hot from the dryer at about 16.5-17% and cooled in the bin.  Dad even has the eaves sealed so the corn can go up the roof a couple feet, and I strap the door shut with tie straps. I have never leveled the peak out. I just run the fans for an extended period after drying, and then again in the winter on the coldest days ( preferably below zero 0*) to freeze the grain. I then never touch it again, and have cold corn coming out in late July, not counting winter sales where I will core the bins. But I do not core them specifically to keep the grain in condition. Only to reward prices, or fill contracts.

Now.....to add a disclaimer.....this is in regards to corn out of a dryer. Putting corn in directly from the field and air drying is something completely different in my opinion.

Do same as you Rebuilder... Fill em up!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)