AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DAVE-ECIA How did you sorgsudan hay turn out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 9/8/2008 21:19 (#455387 - in reply to #455065)
Subject: Re: DAVE-ECIA How did you sorgsudan hay turn out

Missouri
Looks like perfect timing to cut the crop. We always let it get away and it is 2 times that tall and stems like trees, then you really have a challenge. I think it will keep and the cows will eat it fine. It will ferment in the bale. It does concern me to feed it to calves, not sure how to explain but the difference in nutritional requirements, but actually the different in stomach systems between cow and a calf is what I am trying to say. It eventually will have the same effects as silage and stools will become loose not something you really want in weaning calves. Could lead to other problems. That is why long stem hay works good on a calf's gut. We have to watch for Prussic acid and cows can handle more of it but it is usually from lots of N or drought conditions, rapid regrowth can be hot, if ever graze it, always test it with the wife's cow. Would not be afraid of keeping it for winter feed, seen bales loose shape but no big deal just not pretty. I think the feed will actually get better as it ages in the bale. You did good. Seen it lay 7-10 days and still be silage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)