AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Can/Power implement cable....not long enough
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/31/2015 10:48 (#4351913 - in reply to #4351884)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Can/Power implement cable....not long enough

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You have some options. CAN/Power extensions are available that would mate with the large connector and extend it back. As I recall these come in 12' and 24' lengths which is probably much more than you want or need. In my case the 3' cable that you have does just barely make it out the back of the cab and I use whatever was necessary on the planter to reach this point. This involved a combination of extensions on the planter to get back to the modules which are mounted on the back of a 24 row 1770NT.

You could extend the 3' cable by soldering in extra lengths of wire but that might get a bit messy since it would involve several splices to utilize the existing plugs. If you do extend the wires try to maintain the color code and wire size of the original cable. Twisting the four CAN wires is also suggested.

As you may be aware, the round connector with the four wires in it is the CAN connector. The red and black wire are the CAN power and ground. The Green and Yellow wires are the actual CAN communication wires. Two wires are used rather than one so that they can utilize a noise cancelling scheme.

The 2 pole Deutsh connectors provide two pairs of High current power to the implement. The gray connector mates with a like connector on the display harness and provides one set of 12V power and ground to the large pins in the black Amp connector. The black connector has a pair of wires in it that provide a second set of 12V power and ground to the other pair of large pins in the black Amp connector. For power to be available on this second set of Power/Ground pairs, the black connector needs to be connected to the vehicle battery with a cable that has the mating connector on it and ring terminals to the battery. If you don't put power/ground IN on this connector you won't be able to get it OUT of the black connector on the far end.

Some applications utilize only one set of the high current pairs (the gray ones on the far end of the implement cable). Some applications utilize both the gray connectors and the black connector on the far end of the implement cable. If the black connector on the implement is going to be used power/ground must be connected to the black connector in the tractor as mentioned above. If the black connector is not going to be used it is unnecessary to have it connected in the tractor but it wouldn't hurt anything and then would be available in the future if desirable.

With certain applications several sources of 12V Power and ground are needed besides the modules themselves. For example on my planter, I utilize four modules on the planter that each require 12V Power and ground. I also need power/ground for my spray valves. This means that I needed to use both sets of power sources and had to split some of them again to cover my bases.

Edited by tedbear 1/31/2015 11:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)