AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa Mark how did the turkey turn out
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 12/26/2014 05:30 (#4265292 - in reply to #4264308)
Subject: RE: Iowa Mark how did the turkey turn out

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Good morning Chuck, it turned out great. We brimmed it for about 15 hours & then I put it on the grill Christmas morning about 4:00 a.m.. It wasn't has big as yours, right at 13#. I set the temperature at 190 for the first 6 hours as instructed by the guy I bought my grill from. It was supposed to take 8 hours but it was ready to come off the grill in 6 hours. I ended up lowering the temperature to 180 at the 6 hour mark because the meat probe said it was at 165 at that point. The last thing I wanted was a dryed up turkey like on the movie National Lampoons Christmas movie :-). I ended up taking it off the grill about 11:15 when it reached the 170 degree mark and covered it with alluminum foil for 1/2 hour. Everybody really liked it so I'm happy with the results. I'll do it again next year except I'm not getting up at 4:00 I'm going to make it 6:00.

You could really taste the smoked flavor in the meat. I was instructed to cook it with low heat that's where you get the flavor. Then after about 6 hours I was supposed to turn it up to 200-220 but it didn't need it. Thanks for giving the courage to try it. I should've taken some pictures but didn't think about with all the grandkids around, to much activity going on. I hope you had a great Christmas also with your family.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)