AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tile problem for the experts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jbweston
Posted 10/31/2014 21:33 (#4154520 - in reply to #4154132)
Subject: RE: tile problem for the experts

Central Ohio
Have tiled many very flat fields of our own (mains on half a tenth!) And have seen many older clay systems in these fields full of mud. Two reasons for it: 1 the laterals were not put in clay subsoil thus they silted in with top soil, or 2 the whole suystem was on too little grade. Main was had negative freeboard in ditch and thus was slow emptying and back up I to whole system and sediment silted out. Slow moving water.

Now someone please do shoot holes in my theory. A few years ago we I stalled a 4000' 10" main on .05 grade. SUPER FLAT! For various reasons the main got over loaded quickly with tile projects added and such. It is on the BOTTOM of the ditch. however when it rains a bunch that thing pumps water out like crazy because of how many acres are going through it.

so I wonder if a tile has to be super flat might it be better for it to be overloaded to get my flow and velocity and pressure on it that having in under loaded and the water get lazy? We opened it up the other day for the first time since installed and it is super clean.

If they are full I would certainly start over perhaps with main too.

Edited by jbweston 10/31/2014 21:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)