AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More throwaway breds. Pics included
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 9/17/2014 08:02 (#4078801 - in reply to #4078482)
Subject: RE: More throwaway breds. Pics included

Central Texas
Jack

For me this has several advantages. Can turn them in 8 months or less, so get about 1 1/2 calves per year on same amount of feed. Don't have to deal with getting them rebred thus no opens. Don't have to mess with a bull. Also makes it easy to adjust stocking rate to available feed resources. Almost no decline in cow value as they usually resell for about what I paid for them.

These old highly experienced cows are extremely low maintenance as you don't get to be an old bred cow unless you properly did your job as a younger cow. All I do is try to give them a good home and nutrition, then get out of their way (especially the yellow one) and let them do their job. No babysitting during calving as they rarely have any problems.

This sort of works like an auto/tractor salvage yard. I buy old nearly worn out cows, strip off the good parts (calves) then sell whats left for slaughter. Try to buy them close their kill value so calf is the gravy.

Seems like there is something else I am forgetting but hope this helps shed some light on the methods of my madness.

Edited by Texas Papaw 9/17/2014 08:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)