AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you fertilize mixed hay in variable stands?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 7/17/2013 04:50 (#3212966 - in reply to #3212951)
Subject: Re: How do you fertilize mixed hay in variable stands?

NE Iowa
Only place I have pure stands of grass are pastures and waterways and I'll admit I only apply N. Seems like 100# of urea (46# of N) can increase production on them 30-40% versus no fertilizer. Now on my dedicated hay fields that an alfalfa / orchardgrass mix I apply the P & K to removal rates. With alfalfa K is very important and if you want more yield just apply more potash. In my area if you don't fertilize alfalfa hay you will get 3.5-4 tons but if you apply removal rates of P & K 6.5 tons/acre is possible in only 3 cuts. I think the alfalfa becoming lazy if you apply N is a myth. Have overspread small patches of alfalfa when fertilizing corn and it seemed to actually improve yield. As for native clover fixing N, I think it would even though it wasn't inoculated because if there is a large enough seed bank to get volunteer clover then there should be plenty of rhizobia in the soil already. I also don't think that fescue hurts the alfalfa and that the areas with both the alfalfa doesn't do well because it may be the lowest fertility. I think you need to start with some soil tests. They are only about $6 a piece for a basic P,K,Ca,Mg, pH, and fert recommendation test. Personally I use A&L labs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)