AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windmills on property
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Varment
Posted 7/14/2013 12:54 (#3207816 - in reply to #3206895)
Subject: Re: Windmills on property

Ontario's West Coast , Huron County
First off it is likely a here in Ontario thing because I do not know what the differences are south of the border and it may well be different from one state to another . Here our provincial gov has screwed up every thing involved with it . They are not accountable for their mistakes and bad decisions .

It does not make economic sense the way things are being done currently other than filling the pockets of the turbine companies . It is not that wind could not work but the technology is not advanced enough yet to be economically sound and competitive/viable . Why pay 13 cents to sell or maybe even pay some one to take it or pay not to produce a cheaper form is the real head shaker !!

I have never seen a lease that I liked . Have 7 of them here . Too many restrictions and I do not see the need to have a lease that is put on the deed for a property for an single standing structure . Also I do not care to give some else rights to tell me what I can do on my property for what is a pittance of a payment or worth of the whole/gross dollars of the project .
With regards to the lease , the only reason I can think of and have heard from a reliable source is that the companies use your land for collateral . Have heard from a banker that this has happened . Here we are producing electricity from these monstrosities that is subsidized by the tax payers and the users and then we sell it at a loss because we do not need it . Supposed to be some big job benefit but have yet to see that happen either .

It has been proven that there are health problems with these things and I don't need to be making some one else or worse yet a neighbour sick for my own financial gain . Infrasound and noise are real problems that they deny affect any one or any thing . People here have vacated thier life long dream properties because they could not stand to live with the problems and were told it was all in thier heads . Too many who sign these leases do not sign up the property where they live but put the problems off on those who do live in the area . Sooo nice of them !! If you are going to sign a lease you should have to sign up and have one built first on your home place where you live . Absenty land owners should not be allowed to sign up properties . If you don't live there you should not get a lease .

It is dividing the community here so much that there are families who are no longer having Christmas , birhtday parties and such because of it . Sure these companies say and some do give to the community but that is only because they want the write off and are making out like bandits at every one elses expense .

Property values for houses is dropping in my area because of proposed projects . Hamlet not far from me has 3 of 12 houses for sale ( 25 %) and not one offer has been made on any of them . One house is actually owned by the province or really the tax payers because of a gov. closure of a youth centre which every one got a buy out or an offer to move to a different facility . Owners moved and could not sell their house so the gov. bought it . It has been empty for close to 2 years now . Other houses in the municipality can not get a bite or an offer either yet the wind companies claim there is no effect from turbines . Our tax base will drop and the turbine companies will not be paying their fair share so once again the tax payer will have to make up the difference and some will just pack up and leave to go live else where that will shrink the rural tax base even more .

No regulations on the lease agents . These agents are many times scum and high pressure sales tactics are all they know and they will and do tell fibs with no recourse . Take advantage of older and finacially strapped persons . I have put one off the property after he told me I did not know any thing . Let him flap his gums for a while longer and then told him I knew one thing for sure . He asked what it was and I told him that " there is the ( blanking ) door and your going to use it " . He wanted to argue with me to which I told him that physically he would better to get in his vehicle and leave now while he could still sit up to drive it .

As for the rent . As Brad said $3000.00 is not enough when you cut up the farm , have building restrictions and loose who many acres that can't be cropped . These things gross mega dollars a year here ( $ 750,000.00 and maybe more ) for a 1.6 mega watt turbine . I have heard as high as 5 acres being taken out of production for 1 turbine . Cut tile lines and other problems . Crop compensation is an other when they bring in cranes for repairs . Who pays for the clean up after the lease is yet another or will they leave it up to the land owner . There are lawsuits starting here which the land owners are named in as well .

The energy is needed in the cities so why don't they build them in the cities where it is needed and where the power lines are closer to the need so that the rural system is not put in jepardy . If there are no problems then let those cities live with them .

I am not against green energy it just has to be done properly . I am against GREED Energy !!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)