AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigate corn slow and deep or fast and shallow?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cainfarmer
Posted 7/12/2013 09:08 (#3204132 - in reply to #3203106)
Subject: RE: Irrigate corn slow and deep or fast and shallow?

SE Nebraska

IH9300 - 7/11/2013 16:54 Depends on the pivot type and ground. In type of pivot I mean a wiper pivot or one that makes a full circle. We have both and run them completly different. Our full circle pivots we usually put on .75 inches. We have hills and heavy clay soils and uauslly anything more then .75inch will run off and would be a waste of water in my opinion. If the weather is cool like below 85deg and 15mph or below wind we will turn the pivots on and run them 24 seven. We do this to try to build up submoister. If the temp is 90+plus the pivots are shut off and only run between the hours of 7:00pm to usually 11a.m. This is how we ran them last year. One field for example irrigated did 204, dryland zeroed out. Now for the wiper pivot. A wiper pivot and 100 degree days are a chore. We put down .40inchs the first time and run it back over the next day. Totaling about .8inches within a 32hour period. on the cooler days we run the wiper the same way we do the full circle. 75inches. Last year was a heck of a chore running pivots. We kinda threw out all logic on running them correctly. We watered the crops just to get them a drink becausee ten straight days of 100+ degrees and 20+mph winds took a heck of a lot out of the corn and ground. I get so mad watching guys irrigating and 100degree days and high winds. They are doing nothing more then watering the dry air.

Sometimes you have no choice to water with high wind and heat. We had to do that last year. If we had not we would have lost the crop. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)