AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

making tighter bales on vermeer 605f
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 6/17/2013 17:13 (#3159911 - in reply to #3159352)
Subject: RE: making tighter bales on vermeer 605f

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

long_johns - 6/17/2013 06:48

Got a 605f and we have been trying to get it to make tighter bales. the bales when you let them out you can see them squat already. the regulator on the tongue is screwed all the way in and the pressure on the cylinder reads 1800 psi or so. we just replaced the seals in the cylinder. anything else we can do?

I did a lot of custom work with my 605F.  I had a vermeer twinrake that made an even 5' windrow, that was the first step in a good bale, an even amount of hay flowing into the baler.  It has been mentioned driving slower helps as well, that depends upon the type and amount of hay in the windrow.  Finally, I double tied my bales, customers said there was more twine on my bales than anyone else used.  More twine means a tighter bale that will not squat as easily, even after a winter storage outside.  I never had a net wrap, wonder if that would not help make a more solid bale as well, but no experience to speak about.  If I got in a hurry and stingy with the twine on a big job, the quality of the bales suffered.  I got a lot of repeat business from satisfied customers because my bales were tied well and stored better.

When baling straw, it is more difficult to make a solid bale, but again, more twine helps.

Before buying the Vermeer, I had an IH 243 baler, never did make a good bale with that one.

I would also check on your cylinder as someone else mentioned, that could well be a problem as well.  The length of the belts made a differeence in bale density as well, after replacing splices about three times, I got new belts.  I never could figure out why shorter and more stretched belts made such a difference, but it did.  The quality of belt material and splices makes a difference as well.

Remember the springs starting the core of the bale can also affect the density of the core, check to see if you have enough beginning pressure as well.  Gotta have a good core to get a good bale that doesn't squat.          

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)