AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why I can't use WAAS to plant with
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

sat_alight
Posted 5/25/2011 10:06 (#1791005 - in reply to #1790493)
Subject: Re: Why I can't use WAAS to plant with

"WAAS might be better than a few years ago according to the data but the actual results don't support this so the data may not be completely "accurate".

7,000,000+ GPS positions over 3 months x 38 receivers = 266,000,000 GPS positions every 3 months. If that isn't "actual" results, I don't know what is.

Those 38 monitoring receivers, spread out all over the U.S., are very simple. On the other hand, you are working with a system that has several variables, any of which could contribute to the problem. You assume it's WAAS because it's the same on all your setups, but it could be another problem (setting, firmware, etc) on all your setups.

Look, different receivers use WAAS in different ways. Maybe your receiver manufacturer changed an algorithm on how they use WAAS. I don't know. I don't disagree with you that it's not working the way it used to, but that's nothing to do with WAAS. It has to do with the way your system is using WAAS.

JDBrian - 5/24/2011 23:46

No tree lines on any of our fields so that can't be used as an excuse. The same fields as before so that is no excuse either. When I have most of the problems is in the afternoon when the receivers show 10 to 12 satellites so that can't be used as an excuse either. The problems happen with 133, 135, and 138 so that can't be it either. PRN 135 was a problem last year but came back online this spring and has been better than 133 or 138 but is still terrible at times. The receivers are set to just one prn at a time instead of auto so it won't try to switch back and forth which can really make things bad. Yes the cruizer is set up properly. All that I have to do is feed nmea from my ez guide 500 on omni* xp into the cruizer/smartsteer and it works wonderful so it is the correction source, not the hardware that is the problem. WAAS might be better than a few years ago according to the data but the actual results don't support this so the data may not be completely "accurate". Anyway, whatever the reason, waas is terrible here and no matter how much data someone wants to throw at it or try to blame it on incorrect settings, etc., etc., it just doesn't change the results seen on the ground.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)