AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can convert 480 volt 3ph genset to 220v 1ph?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 8/23/2010 22:09 (#1329267 - in reply to #1329172)
Subject: RE: Thanks everyone, a few more questions.

Grand Rapids, MI
Given the number of questions you have, I am assuming you have very little electrical knowledge. I would strongly suggest going the safe route and hiring a reputable local electritian to come out and do some testing with you. I would think you could have all your questions answered and plugs labelled, etc. for less than $200.

If you really want some things to look at, the easiest thing to check is that 3 phase 480V has 3 hot wires and generally (but not always) does not have a neutral. A single phase system will have 1 hot and one neutral for 110V or two hots and optionally one neutral for 240V. But like I said before if you didn't know this I wouuld hire a pro.

The other thing to consider if the generator can only generate 3 phase 480V is that if you are only running a couple fan motors, you may consider just changing the motors out to 3 phase. 3 phase motors are generally cheaper than single phase. If there is existing wiring it would be heavy enough if you had 3 conductors + a ground since 480V takes half the wire size than 240V. Not exactly per code, but you could wrap the neutral with black electrical tape like is done in residential to signify that it is a hot.

Good luck.

Edited by lorenk 8/23/2010 22:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)