AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2 computers, 1 printer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 2/22/2010 07:06 (#1087063 - in reply to #1086148)
Subject: Re: 2 computers, 1 printer..thanks-but no go!

Chebanse, IL.....

Cri

Thanks for that link & help. I've rec'd some email help also. I did everything as per the link. However, when trying to make the laptop (XP) print, it just gives a message saying "Printer not ready", but the printer IS ready. The laptop works the printer fine when hooked via USB. The tower computer w/the printer hooked to it works fine. The laptop is receiving Wireless Cable Modem Gateway (CG814WG) just fine. Just won't work the printer. I've double checked the appropriately checked boxes....nothing.

Do I have the correct thing for a router? Again, it's called a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. Maybe it's just a wireless modem & won't handle printer stuff? It's connected to my tower computer via ethernet. It's a cable modem device hooked to Comcast...their supplied device.

Here's the steps copy/pasted from the link. Again, I have XP on both computers.

Turn on both computers and the printer. Make sure both computers are connected to the Internet.

• Step 2

Choose one of the computers to be the host or main computer. Usually this is the computer that is already physically connected to the printer.

• Step 3

Log onto the computer as an administrator. Open the "Start" menu and click "Control Panel," then "Network and Internet Connections."

• Step 4

Click on the "Network Set-up Wizard" icon.

• Step 5

Click "Next" to exit the introduction screen and "Next" to exit the screen that reminds you to have everything hooked up and turned on.

• Step 6

Check the box that best describes how the host computer is connected to the Internet, either directly to the modem or a gateway, which can be a router or a different host computer. Click "Next."

• Step 7

Highlight the Internet connection the computer is using and click "Next."

• Step 8

Type in a name and description for the host computer, then click "Next."

• Step 9

Type in a name for the network, then click "Next."

• Step 10

Check the box next to "Turn on File and Printer Sharing." Click Next.

• Step 11

Read through the description of your network to make sure the settings are correct. Click Next.

• Step 12

Check the box next to "Just finish the wizard" and click "Next."

• Step 13

Click "Finish" to exit the wizard. Click "Yes" to restart the computer. After the computer has rebooted, you will have both computers on the same network, and both will have access to the printer

• Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
    Search this forum
    Printer friendly version
    E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)