AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying bred heifers vs newborns
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 3/27/2017 18:22 (#5926460)
Subject: Buying bred heifers vs newborns

SC Wisconsin
So I plan on starting milking on my own in the next 5 years. I currently have about 15 cows milking with another 20 youmgstock and dry cows. I raise all my calves whether they are bulls or heifers. Once they calve I take them to my uncle's farm where they milk 1000 cows and they stay there until dry, I house them while dry. I get a percentage of the milk check in our agreement. I am planning on milking 120 cows, so I have a good ways to go and was wondering what others thoughts were on buying newborns and raising them to build my herd slowly versus taking out a loan to buy springers when I do get ready to start. One guy I buy bull calves from is thinking about hanging it up next year so I thought about seeing if he would sell some heifers as well. My heifer lots only have a couple of them in each and could handle plenty more so room isn't an issue, and I have a lot of extra hay usually. I know they say buying them ready to calve is the cheapest route, but the less I have to borrow when I am ready to start the better. Has anyone grown their herd by buying calves and wish they would have gone the other route? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)