AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Big Sluggish Calves, Lambs treatment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 3/20/2017 06:31 (#5910976)
Subject: Big Sluggish Calves, Lambs treatment

south east Indiana
I was told by a vet a couple years ago that the lactic acid build up has a significant affect on the newborns. His remedy is adding baking soda to their milk.

Here he is talking about lambs -" Large lambs can get hypoxia during slower births and have a buildup of acid in their system. This affects their brain and ability to function and results in the classic "big and dumb" syndrome. This acid often clears their system after a few days through respiration and urination if they are eating, but if they are too slow to figure out how to nurse on their own and someone doesn't feed them, they often fade and wither after a few days. Tube feeding them the mother's milk with a teaspoon or two of baking soda added can help get many of them going. I recommend 1 oz of milk per pound of body weight three times daily with baking soda."

Here is another reference about lactic acid -
Glenn Selk, emeritus animal scientist and editor of Oklahoma State University’s Cow-Calf Corner newsletter, reminds cattle producers every baby calf has a certain degree of respiratory acidosis.

“Acidosis is the result of the deprivation of oxygen and the accumulation of carbon dioxide that results from the passage of the calf through the birth canal,” he said. “The excess of carbon dioxide results in a build-up of lactic acid.”

In order to correct the lack of oxygen and the excess of carbon dioxide and its by-products, the healthy calf will pant vigorously shortly after birth. Some calves, however, may be sluggish and slow to begin this corrective process. It is imperative that the newborn calf begins to breathe as soon as possible.

I have not a big lamb to try it on but I am there seems to always be a few slow calves - might give it a try.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)