AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pistol Shooters: What do you shoot?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Burgess159
Posted 10/25/2016 12:49 (#5599356)
Subject: Pistol Shooters: What do you shoot?

Troy, Missouri
Just trying to see what experience you have with what firearm. I personally am not a great shot with a pistol. I just don't have much time on the range with mine, due to time and lack of ammunition.

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 45 with a 4.5 inch barrel. I have had it for 6 years now but haven't shot it a whole lot until the past year or two. Shot probably 40 rounds last winter with it and I was impressing myself shooting a soda can at 10 yards. I was hitting it fairly consistently. Finally realized I need to keep both eyes open and use my left eye (dominant eye) instead of my right (what I use when shooting through a scoped rifle). Also, previously, I believe I had used the tip of my trigger finger instead the middle of the first pad on that finger.

Anyways, the past two weekends I went out shooting. 2 weekends ago, was shooting at 20 yards and not really hitting where I was aiming, or even the 4' x 4' plywood board that the target was on....was disappointed. This past weekend I went to sight in my deer rifles and took the pistol again. Got done sighting in and went to the 10 yard target at the pistol range and shot 50 rounds. I was hitting a 1 ft. diameter target, but it was kind of all over. Took my time with each shot, used my dominant eye, proper trigger finger placement....just could not consistently hit the target.

Like I said, I do feel that I am inexperienced on a pistol (rifle or shotgun, I'm a fairly decent shot), but I feel part of it is the pistol. Pulling that long draw on the trigger (reviews of my gun say it has a 7-9 lb. pull even after it is broken in), I almost or did flinch a few times because the gun didn't go off when I thought it should. I don't believe the issue is really the ammo even if it is just 230 gr. Winchester FMJ. Also, the trigger has a safety figure that makes it kind of clanky, where you pull the bottom half back, then it aligns with the top, and allows you to fire.

I have considered getting an Apex Tactical Trigger Kit to shorten up the trigger pull to a 3-4 lb. pull for around $160. From what I've heard, that should make the gun shoot very differently, as in, a lot better. I had also thought about getting a different gun that comes from the factory with a shorter trigger pull, such as a Sig P227. Unfortunately for me, my wallet can't afford a $1,000 gun even if I trade mine in. Maybe I could find a used one, but I dunno

Just wanted opinions from others who have different guns that I could look at, and from others who have the M&P; maybe I'm the only one who has these issues. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)