AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost a great pilot & gentleman ......10-24-16
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 10/25/2016 11:16 (#5599252)
Subject: Lost a great pilot & gentleman ......10-24-16

Chebanse, IL.....

As he was known..."Mr R.A. Bob Hoover"

Passed away yesterday, 10-24-16 @ 94 yrs old. Good for him. Congratulations on a good life & your contribution to aviation Bob. Thank-you!

I personally met him many times. I wish I could've flown with him....but that was just a wish. I'm sure there's a long list of pilots that wished the same. Probably one of his most famous videos was his "pouring the iced tea while he slow rolled the Commander" video. He placed a glass on the dash of a Shrike Commander (twin engine) that he was flying. Camera was behind him. He started pouring tea into the glass from a pitcher from about 6" above the glass, then commenced a slow roll to the left. He never spilled a drop of tea from the pour and the glass never moved. That would be known as "smooth". He was. He put on great airshows with either a P51 or an Aero Commander (Shrike) twin. Of course, he had a great military background also. You can read about him. Then, he was Yeager's back-up pilot when the X1 broke the sound barrier. Hoover was flying a P33 as a "chase" plane for Yeager.

If you ever met him, he was always dressed in his fedora, a suit, a white shirt, and a tie. That's how he flew his airshow. No fancy flight suits for Bob....well, maybe his suits did come from Hart Shaffner & Marx, but they were fine cut material. Truly, a fine gentleman and a great ambassador for aviation.

RIP Bob. I'm proud to have met & known you.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/10/bob-hoover-one-of-nations-greatest-pilots-dead-at-94/

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)