AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wiring question- AC in shop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

forward
Posted 7/25/2016 14:16 (#5431671)
Subject: wiring question- AC in shop

NoDak
I installed a wall mounted AC unit in my shop, 240v rated at 5.5/6 amps (low/ high). It's an old unit I got from a co-worker for cheap but seems to work good. My breaker box is currently full. I have a 240v outlet for the welder with a 60 amp breaker. The air compressor is 240v and is hardwired with 30 amp breaker. This was installed when I bought the place, I haven't checked the amperage of the air comp motor.

If possible I'd like to plug AC into welder outlet.

So I'm looking for ideas on how I could wire this so it is safe, but minimizing work/ cost. I know the two do not usually go hand in hand, but wondering if there's a somewhat simple solution.

What I've thought of- Have some kind of inline fuse between AC unit and welder outlet? I'm not sure what there is available for this kind of thing. Would it be possible (and safe) to have a second circuit breaker before the welder outlet with a low amp breaker?

IF air comp would run on 20 amp breaker, could install an outlet at air comp and plug in there? Would rather not go this route as air comp is probably used more than welder and the location would not be ideal.

I know and have wired my own basic stuff, but not sure on how to proceed with this. Any other ideas or do's/don'ts feel free to throw em out there. Thanks for any insight!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)