AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking of up-rooting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kingvalley
Posted 6/27/2016 09:26 (#5378500)
Subject: Thinking of up-rooting

Ontario
Hi all,
I've come to the point where I need to bounce this off a few strangers and get different perspectives.
A little background first.. 32 yr old married 3 kids under age of 3. 3rd gen vegetable farmer, farming full time for 10 years.

My wife and I have been thinking of moving out east. We know there is no other lifestyle for us than a simple one.
We truly love farming and have been successful in operating 3 different ag related ventures.
The issue comes from what's been happening around us.
There has been rapid urban development as well as a massive increase in population.
These all sound like good things to most people.. but we feel that these things are not conducive to the family unit.
The only thing that holds us back is our "safety net" of my parents and siblings.
There's been increasing tension with that however, since my parents have separated and my sisters are both divorced and still living in town with my mom. (don't get me started!)
I have a verbal agreement with my father that when he retires, I'd buy his land at a fair price. (asking price here is up to 35k/acre right now)
We own two houses and land and have enough equity to sell it all and live mortgage free out east where things move at a slower pace and better for the family. (Wives parents live in NFLD)
We've been looking at PEI, NB, or NS. I grow potatoes so that type of farming isn't new. We also run an organic CSA so we are pretty diverse in experience.

I am leaving a lot of things out just due to the fact that I'm rushed for time.. but I'd like to know what some of you fellas think of this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)