AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking of up-rooting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

kawartha
Posted 6/27/2016 17:00 (#5379231 - in reply to #5378500)
Subject: RE: Thinking of up-rooting

Certainly understand your questioning whether to relocate or not... in my opinion living and farming in an area so much affected by GTA sprawl is not all that desirable ... now's the time if your going to do it.
Almost 40 years ago I decided to pick-up and leave Markham Twp for similar reasons, urban sprawl and land affordability among them ... was single and a little younger at the time but certainly have never regretted the decision.
Have you considered just moving a little bit further east and north? Northern York and Durham regions are just crazy expensive but a little further east in Victoria (City of Kawartha Lakes) real estate has gone up but is still a bargain compared to your neck of the woods. In particular I wonder whether Eldon, Fenelon or Verulam townships might be attractive to you .. the loamy/sandy soils up there would be suitable for vegetables or potatoes, would just have to make sure it's land with a good deep cover over the limestone, it can be very close to the surface in those townships... the Mennonites certainly seem to make things work in that area. There's no chance of any urban sprawl happening there in your lifetime that's for sure ... yet Kawartha Lakes is a great place to work and live, excellent rural schools, high school would be in Fenelon Falls, general hospital in Lindsay for the common ailments, finding a family doctor (unlucky families have nurse practitioner) nearby could be a challenge. On the agricultural side plenty of good infrastructure exists to support your farm business, area is still within range of GTA markets, there would be a couple less frost free days, I know there is a CSA network in the area too ... a relative of mine buys produce up in that area for resale to trendy Toronto restaurants, everything from meats to vegetables to maple syrup. There is a lot of artisans living in the area, painters, potters, carvers etc.
Prices for hundred acre farms with home and buildings are kind of all over the map, most of the time the home determines the price, anywhere from 400,000 all the way up to a million if some guy has built a new mansion, most are between 500,000 to 700,00 for something with good buildings.
On the other hand I have a niece who got down-sized out of a good university research job in Waterloo, she has always had a horse but could never afford a rural property to keep it so she always had to board it somewhere. Long story short she found another research job in Moncton so sold the little house in Waterloo, with those proceeds was able to buy a farm with a good newer home on it, no mortgage now ... all within easy driving distance to Moncton.
I guess my biggest concern regarding a move to the maritimes would be finding suitable markets to buy what I produced. There's probably a good reason for all those maritime farms sitting there producing nothing but grass hay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)