AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Downtown Waterloo, Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

99MAX
Posted 5/1/2016 18:24 (#5276364)
Subject: Downtown Waterloo, Iowa

Stearns County, Minnesota

A week ago I went to a funeral at Cedar Rapids, IA.  After I got out of college and the army, I started work at John Deere Co. Minneapolis.  I was sent to tractor service schools, which were held in the old Waterloo Tractor Works.  It was located along the river, along with Rath Packing Plant.  We would stay at the Russel Lamson Hotel in downtown Waterloo.  I remember the hotel was getting a little bit ratty at that time, but they had murals on the inside walls of the tractor works, assembling two-cylinder tractors and also a mural of Rath Packing Plant hog killing line.  We drove around downtown  last week and it sure has changed.  The old Waterloo Tractor plant is basically gone, with a few buildings setting empty.  Also the Rath Packing Plant is gone.  There was also a huge brick church, with a round dome, which read Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist church.  Looking close it seemed to be falling apart, with stained glass windows needing repair.  Googling this later at home, it lists this as an African-American church.  Evidently it was a Methodist Church up until 1996, it was sold to another group as a mission church.  It would seem very difficult for a small group to maintain a large church like this.   I realize that the new tractor plant is on the northeast side of Waterloo.  I thought they were using the old tractor plant for making component parts, but evidently they are not. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)