AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1970s-80s, in real time
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Clay SEIA
Posted 5/1/2016 00:50 (#5274875)
Subject: 1970s-80s, in real time

First off, I'm doing something I don't think I ever have intentionally on Agtalk, which is make the same post in two forums.  I'm sure the moderators are going to kill one of them.  However, while a great portion of this post probably is directed at the Marketing forum, I know that during this downturn in commodity prices there's been lots of discussion everywhere about how this relates to the last farm crisis, and many AT readers don't participate much or at all in the Marketing page.  And, while I've put emphasis on things to do with the grain markets and farm sector economy, there are also  stories that on the livestock industry, major personalities in ag during that era, and emerging technologies that we all take for granted everyday now.  Also I tried to sprinkle in advertising for a lot of iconic farming products and brands, many of which are long defunct or only with us today in a different form.  Anyhow, after that disclaimer... 

I was lucky enough come into possession of a full set of Farm Journal magazines from 1973-1984, covering the great majority of that boom/bust cycle. Despite much eBay searching, I haven't been able to expand that, but I do have some Top Producer magazines which go a bit later and give a feel of the very bottom and start of recovery. It took me a long time to figure out how to get this stuff in an easily accessible format, and far longer than I expected to actually do the work- but it's now all in chronological order, in one 3rd party page that can be shared and bookmarked so any of you can come back to read it on a rainy day or whatever. Whether you lived it and have good, bad, and hazy memories, or it was long before your time, I hope that a few of you find the trip through history as fascinating and relevant to today as I did.

http://imageevent.com/clayneubauer/farmjournals

(1280HowBrightCover.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1280HowBrightCover.jpg (265KB - 380 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)