AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finishing Steers Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Justin-PA
Posted 8/26/2015 11:04 (#4754170)
Subject: Finishing Steers Question

NW PA
Hi folks, I don't post much but read a lot. I've been raising sheep for about 8 years now, run 200 ewes lambing 3x per year. But we have started to introduce cattle into the mix. We do rotational grazing and I really like how well the pastures and animals have responded with the cattle added. We graze a pasture with sheep, let it rest until 6-8 inches high and then graze with cattle. then repeat. Keeps the pastures green and vegetative and keeps the worm burden in the sheep in check.

My question is centered around finishing these steers. I bought them in late April at 800 lbs. They've been grazing all summer and I'd estimate they are 1000-1100 lbs now. I started them on a 14% grain mix that my co-op has on-hand, about 2-3 weeks ago. Currently feeding 10lb/hd/day. I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience finishing cattle like this...on pasture but with grain. I want to ship these boys in early November when grass runs out (although I do have high quality baleage that I can feed if needed). Is 14% feed too high on protein? I generally finish lambs on ~13% feed but they are finished on a high concentrate diet.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to best get these steers in good finished condition. They are Herefords, btw.

Edited to add that the pics are from this spring in early May.

Edited by Justin-PA 8/26/2015 11:12

(IMG_6366.JPG)

(IMG_6416.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_6366.JPG (207KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments IMG_6416.JPG (193KB - 79 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)