AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Drying question.... I know, I'm early
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cessnapilot3
Posted 8/20/2015 21:05 (#4744313)
Subject: Corn Drying question.... I know, I'm early

Gents, we have a 12 bushel behlen bin. It has perforated floors. I don't recall the exact dimensions but I think around 27' by 36' (something in that neighborhood. I put a brock 10 hp centrifugal fan and heater assembly on it along with 6 roof vents. I do not have stirators. My intention is to let the corn dry as much as I can in the field, like I normally do. Generally we've been starting harvest in the 19-20% range. In the past, I had a small 3hp axial aeration fan. I plugged it in when we started and shut if off at Thanksgiving and generally that got me to 17-17.5%. I have never used any heat before, ever. Sell before March and take a dock fee at the elevator.

Trying to store some back a little longer now. Are there any "Watch outs" for adding heat into this equation? Also, any remote idea how long I should leave that fan on, or do I need to go out and probe/check it every two or three days from the top.. I really don't like bin climbing, but hey, who does, right? Any works of wisdom on in-bin drying would be much appreciated. Lots of real life experience on here, believe me, I've learned, books will only get one so far...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)