AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whew! I got out!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

00rooster
Posted 7/4/2015 16:22 (#4661359)
Subject: Whew! I got out!

Trying to apply a rescue treatment for an unacceptable amount of grass and waterhemp showing up today. 4th of July, and I had my youngest's 2 year birthday party this evening, it was my last field, 30mph wind tomorrow and an 80% chance of rain tomorrow night. I got about 15 acres into a field of 150 when I drove a little too far into the yellow corn trying to turn around.

It is a new sprayer to me(I just bought it last Friday) and I was a little disturbed about the lack of torque I could apply to the wheels.  This was the only wheel that sunk, the two lefts were on dry ground, and the right front was not bad.  I couldn't move.....not at all.  No shovel, no help....50 miles from home in the middle of the field.

After working and digging and spitting and cussing my bad luck for about an hour....I GOT OUT!!

Right behind the wheel that was sunk was the controlled traffic from strip-till, planting, and sidedress(3 trips this year).  So it was compacted, once I left the compaction it dropped off into muck.  So the machine couldn't back up that hill.  Once I got things opened up a little I could get the machine rocking and the spray slooshing and after several attempts was finally able to climb back up onto solid ground.

If anybody drove by on the road after this they probably thought I was being attacked by a swarm of bees because I was standing outside in the corn field doing a happy dance.  The celebration was intense, and my hands were shaking for a while after from the adrenaline.  I want to give a big shout-out to the stick that I found to use as a shovel....I couldn't have done it without ya buddy! 

Are the hydrostatic drives on a JD 4700 known to be kinda weak?  Or is this something I should have checked out?  I wouldn't spin a tire at all(that was probably fortunate), and I actually stalled out trying to pull a steep hill with 2/3 of a tank.  To be fair I've stalled out on that same hill with a combine with a full grain tank.  Its a short but extreme slope.  But I really expected to be able to put a little more torque to the wheels in 1st gear.  I couldn't believe I was stuck with only 1 wheel sunk like that. I had about 600 gallons of spray onboard.

Edited by 00rooster 7/4/2015 16:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)