AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those with Hip Replacement Experience
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Doug W
Posted 6/20/2015 15:48 (#4637321)
Subject: Question for those with Hip Replacement Experience

Regina/ 14 miles South of Moose Jaw Saskatchewan
Have searched past posts & didn't quite find the answers I was looking for, but I know there's a lot of experience with hip replacements on here, so here goes....

Had Left total hip done on Monday June 15th (approach is the "mini-posterior" - surgeon claimed no muscles cut, just stretched). Was discharged first thing June 19th (for "good behaviour").

Protocol in our health region is you have a set of strengthening exercises to do - start at 10 reps once per day, then work up to 30 reps split between 2 and 3 times per day, stairs and walking "as tolerated" We see people for staples out and surgical follow up in 2 and 4 weeks - but physio (the team that move you on to the next set of exercises) waits 6 weeks for assessment.

Here's my question - what has everyone's experience been with the "walking as tolerated" idea - I'm in a bit of a debate with my coach/sweetie - I think I'm doing pretty good, & would like to head outside for "supervised" walks - she thinks I'm pushing it.

Also curious when any of you made the switch from a walker to a cane? - was there any rule of thumb you had for that? I use a cane for stairs - but a flat footed walker for moving around now hoping to move to the cane ASAP....

55 yrs old - pretty good shape (except for the arthritis!)

Appreciate any experiences!

Thanks!
Doug W.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)