AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

getting wired
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

iknow
Posted 3/21/2015 23:08 (#4468675)
Subject: getting wired

well we now have a new option for the internet. a celluar co now sells a "hotspot" device, that gives you unlimited data, 1.5 g down, for $35 per month.
I want to put it at a remote farm. I want to install a wx station (ambient wx for $150) and need some cameras. here is where the problem is.
I want to monitor a machine shead, (only 1 side), would also like one inside, a well/tank, and also one that will watch the driveway. I will need
the cameras to be wireless and 12 volt for the well and for the driveway. I'll have to run solar on the driveway.
I would also like to get a couple of cameras about 2 miles away to watch a solar water tank and also a gate.
i am thinking for in the yard i'll need to add a wireless router and would like to put an external antenna on it to make sure I can see the well,
and the driveway.
the distant one, i'm wondering if i couldn't use a couple of dual freq routers to link the distance. maybe on the "link" freq i could use some
yagi antenna or something perhaps a bit more omni directiional. The jump would be just a little over a mile, and complete line of sight.
I then neended to collect signal from the remote site, from the gate and solor well. I might use some small beam antenna going
to the "link router".
can all this be done ?
does it sound workable ?

also on the ip cameras. I want them to trigger on a movement event, but don't really care to have them stream, just take a picture and email to me.
also, I would like to look thru the camera once in a while, to check the water level, and if a smoke or fire alarm is triggered, I can look to see if a false
alarm. can the IP camera do this easy ?

lastly, i want to have an alarm system. I would need to use a "beam" since the big doors on the buildings move alot with the wind. also would like fire/smoke
but could only use in summer. I am told that once it gets below 30 degrees the units go nuts, and must use a laser light alarm that looks for
particles, but you are pushing $700 or more for that. I would also like to use motion detectors, but same problem.

trying to figure out some sort of controler that would send an email when an alert. I cant go with alarm co, since they want to call FD and SO, they
get cranky anymore, and talk of charging for each run (i thought that is what I paid taxes for !).

I'm over 30 miles for this location, so I need to do something.

Thanks for any input !
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)