AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Valuations and Property tax
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 10/30/2014 14:39 (#4152247)
Subject: Valuations and Property tax

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

As most everyone else, we saw our tax valuations for real estate and equipment go up substantially the last few years.

Tax bills came in the mail this AM and the amount due is 28% less than we paid last year.

Although it doesn't fit the narrative of many of the victims who are heard howling in despair every time valuations are raised, the simple truth is; property valuations are but one part of the equation used to figure the tax bill. What usually happens is the taxing entity goes to each of the department heads and has them submit a budget for what they think will be their needs for the upcoming year. This budget is most often based on what they spent last year, with some adjustments. Department totals are then analyzed for further adjustments and then tabulated to come up with total county budget, That figure is then divided by the total valuation of the taxing entity, to come up with the millage required to fund the budget. At this point the mil figure is multiplied by the individual's tax valuation and that becomes the tax bill for the year.

And that my friends is how my tax bill for the year went down, even though my valuations went up.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)