AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calf Prices? Drylotting cows?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmforever
Posted 10/22/2014 12:40 (#4139850)
Subject: Calf Prices? Drylotting cows?

Central MN
If calf Prices stay the same as some expect or conitinue to go up are we going to start seeing some feedlots transition from feeding feeders for almost nothing to them drylotting cows? Or at least have a coupe pens this way? Has anyone started this already? With 1200-1500 dollar calves I would think you could feed a cow all year long with no pasture and still have decent return.

sidenote: I was thinking about keeping some extra heifers this year to breed them next spring. And once they calved the following year to keep them in the yard, and just feed them better quality hay than they get in winter and supplement them with corn and soybean meal. I would expect the calves won't grow as well in this situation but at these prices even 400 lb calves are bringing 1200 bucks. Right now the heifers we keep as replacements are already drylotted and bred AI so I would continue that with the cows considering facilities are present. The other reason I am considering this is we will have some pasture coming out of a watershed program in about 4 years and would allow us to get back to about 40-45 cows. Now we only have 13 as that's all we really have enough pasture for. So if we kept our heifers they would be a little more acclimated to our management style and we wouldn't have to buy many once it came out of the program. Am I crazy thinking this would work? We also feed out our own calves if that makes any difference.

Edited by farmforever 10/22/2014 12:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)