AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metal shingle brand preference?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/19/2014 09:12 (#4026411)
Subject: Metal shingle brand preference?

Thumb of Michigan
Second home is close to needing a new roof. Currently has one layer of asphalt. Will not consider installing asphalt again. Currently have some buildings with standing seam. OK visually on a commercial building- don't really care for them on a house. Just our personal preference.

I've installed Decra's on the main house close to 15 yrs ago, and have no issues with them to date. The installer has left the state, so getting him back for this roof isn't possible. I have located a few more local installers I have confidence in, however. Each of course has their favorite brand. I don't believe my Decra's have any stone embedded on them. That seems to be posing an issue with the newer ones, although I don't know why that is or who I heard that from.

The first bid was for Classic aluminum shingles. Impressed with the product. Impressed with the sales pitch. The price quote left me speechless, which is very hard to believe phenomenon if you ask anyone who knows me. And I got the quote 5 days ago- still tongue tied. I don't know if the price seems high to me due to the product or from the installer's cost. If that makes sense.

The next place quoted me a Metalworks shingle from Tamko. Its obviously metal instead of aluminum. I know nothing about the product. They also have installed Arrowline shingles by Edco. They seemed to like those OK as well. I forgot to ask this installer if they can source and install Classics. I should do that today. I never asked if they would install Decra's either.

So, heres my question: anyone have a metal shingle they would recommend to buy over another brand? Maybe more importantly, anyone have any bad experiences with a metal shingle company that would lead them to avoid a future purchase?

And while I'm asking questions: if the opportunity is there, anyone have any preferences in fastener material for shingles? Pretty sure (well, positive) I don't want metal shingles with aluminum fasteners. Or vice versa. Wondering more about stainless steel for either aluminum or steel roofing?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)