AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn versus Milo in crop rotation with cotton
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dbltfarmer
Posted 7/24/2014 22:29 (#3984541)
Subject: Corn versus Milo in crop rotation with cotton

Texas
I am currently in a rotation on center pivots with cotton and milo. I plant half a pivot in cotton and half the pivot in milo. I plant the milo in mid to late april and the cotton in mid May. The pivots that I am rotating are very light water. 250 gpm to 300 gpm. I water the milo heavily until mid July or about the time the cotton starts blooming. The current program is working very well as it allows the use of different herbicides to help control resistance and the milo stubble acts as a very good cover crop to protect the young cotton.

However, this program is not without its problems with roundup drift being the number one problem. Some years we ding a lot more milo than others and this year is really bad. So, with that in mind I am studying the use of roundup ready corn.

I have been averaging 60 to 65 bushel milo. The T yield in my county would guarantee 352 dollars per acre on corn multiplied by my level of insurance. My milo yield guarantee is about 182 dollars per acre times my level of coverage. Please keep in mind that I am not trying to get insurance money but that does seem to guarantee a higher level of risk management.

My question is would the input costs of corn outweigh the additional revenue corn could produce? What would be the equivalent yield of corn if I am averaging 60 bushel milo? Roundup ready corn just seems like it could be less risky from a couple of standpoints and I like the rotation of corn a little better than milo.

Thoughts??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)