AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Unconventional Grain drying question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jff2009
Posted 11/3/2012 15:37 (#2676021)
Subject: Unconventional Grain drying question

SC
The scenario........ I have a 27' - 7 ring bin with a floor in it. There is a 18" fan with roof vents. It use to be a drying bin, but it has no stirrators.

The situation...... I have about 95 acres of corn that is testing anywhere from 19.5 to 23% moisture and would like to get it down to 16.5-17% because the local ethanol plant is paying the best and selling 17% corn sells more bushels

The idea....... I would like to put a Knipco heater in front of the fan to blow some warmer air on the stored grain while the fan is on to try and dry it down during the day and run the fan during our cold nights to cool it off. I would like to run the heater during some nice sunny days where we are about 50+ degrees, give or take.

I have heard of guys doing this with some success, whatever that means, but I am not sure how many points I could dry out of the corn in this manner because I have never tried it before....mainly because I have only been farming for myself for a couple years now and I can't justify a dryer right now. I guess my questions are is this a good idea? What can i reasonably expect? and is there a better way to accomplish my goal with what I have access to? I really don't want to take the shrink or moisture docks....i'd rather sell more bushels :-) Just trying to be creative with what I have. Thanks for your input and ideas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)