AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Speculating corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 4/22/2011 13:08 (#1738702)
Subject: Speculating corn

N FLA
If a guy had some play money, and he thought right now was a good time to speculate the price of corn was going higher, how would he go about going long the market.

I was thinking to speculate with a couple thousand dollars. I felt like I knew what was going to happen with OJ when Florida got 4 hurricanes in 2004, and sat back and watched prices rocket, and when MO, IL, and IA got 30" of rain in a month in 2010, knew that couldnt happen without reducing yields. Now I'm sitting here watching drought throughout the wheat belt, and wet weather everywhere else, and you guys are getting ready to mud in 90 million acres of corn in the Month of May from the Missouri bootheel to Canada, and farms cramming cotton on every acre they can in the SE. So, I know what my crystal ball shows as far as corn supply, and would like to put a little money where my mouth is. I've been scared that this economy is a disaster, and all markets are going to crash, and there is going to be intervention in ethanol credits etc, but I think just like when the peanut "pipeline" runs out in August 2012, the corn "pipeline" will be sucking air as well at about that time.

So how much is the admission charge to play this game, and how would you go about it. Is it even possible on this budget. This is from a non-corn grower, so I cant do it by planting more corn. I dont think my couple thousand dollars would get me very far anyway. I just want to buy high and sell higher, or cry in my wheaties if i'm wrong.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)