AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

catch pen design/size
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ks8780
Posted 3/15/2024 19:04 (#10666487)
Subject: catch pen design/size

Jewell County KS
I am finally ready to build a catch pen at one of my pastures. I ran the dozer thru the old on last fall and pushed it into a pile which was the best place for it. It hadn't been used in years.

I am mainly wondering about size. It would need to hold 75 pair and be able to sort/separate calves and also capture bulls when its time to pull them. It would also need to hold 200 dry cows at times and sort them also. I would need a loadout for Gooseneck and Groundload trailer also. Perhaps a bud box for that. I would possibly set up a portable alleyway and chute to works cows from time to time.

What it needs to accomplish is catch the 75 pair that runs on this place in fall and load up calves for weaning. In the spring I will possibly have 200 cows there grazing nearby stalk fields and we will go down and sort the close calving cows off every 15 to 20 days and walk them home to calve. The cows that stay at that time would go back out to the pasture and the others would need to go into a separate pen maybe sized for 50 head.

So how big of a pen to hold the 200 cows is the main question I guess ?

I rambled a lot but trying to explain how it needs to function.

Anywhere I could design catch pens online?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)