AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Solar livestock watering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GangGreen
Posted 6/17/2016 14:46 (#5360803)
Subject: Solar livestock watering

Eastern Iowa
Somebody just stop me if I'm nuts, or correct me if I get off track.

I have a pasture where we fenced the creek off years ago to keep the bank from eroding further. Considering the places where the fence crossed the creek routinely washed it out every time we had rain events greater than .75 inches, I considered it a smart move.

But the watering hole I built with the dozer for them to drink from tile drainage lines has proven to be inadequate. Consistency of flow is poor and the cattle are intent upon stomping through it and turning whatever good water their is into mud when it is.

So I am thinking about installing a DC solar panel and pump to pull water from the creek and into a stock tank up on the bank along the creek. Total lift would be around 25 feet of height at most.

Could a guy use a solar system to maintain a continuous flow system, without a pressure tank or valve, that would fill a large stock tank (I'm thinking about using a bulk bin ring 8 feet in diameter and 32 inches high) and have a drain in the center that would return water above a certain level in the tank back to the creek through a tile line?

The system would need a battery supply to keep flow moving during dark days and night time, but should be able to be sized to fit, because flow doesn't need to be that great for 50 pairs, I'd need to lift only around 750 gallons a day or half a gallon a minute, and the tank would hold a whole day in reserve . I wouldn't think you'd need a lot of panel or battery to do that.

So, looking around at systems, it seems nobody operates one this way, at least judging by kits described online. What am I missing? I am interested in any input from anyone with experience with solar watering.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)