AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

We need a program to lease CRP to Pasture.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 4/4/2016 08:08 (#5220481)
Subject: We need a program to lease CRP to Pasture.

I got flamed earlier for this but we have a number of younger producers who are trying to establish or build a cow herd.. and it's DARN HARD to find Pasture..  Frankly I buy into the meme that we've put too much land in the CRP.. some of which WOULD/Should be PASTURE..

Since it sounds like the CRP is gonna fill up.. couldn't we develop a program to lease acres out of the CRP into pasture.. with the goal of conversion to pasture at the end of the lease.. we need to connect older landholders in the CRP with younger livestock producers..

Honestly couldn't we convert a couple myn acres to pasture? 2..3..5..7..???  myn acres.

I appreciate the wildlife habitat that the CRP provides.. but we're gonna need more pasture.. especially if things turn dry again.  And we can keep MOST of the wildlife benefits in smaller strips.. (golly do ya really need quarter sections?)

.. and besides after seeing the Anderson Creek Fire.. some of this CRP is a fire hazard.. it's not getting burned off as much as it should.. and too much fuel load.. and cedars are growing up in it.. The Government needs to work on this....

Don't have time now but need an Anderson Creek Fire update..  Here's the aftermath.. from a satellite..  there's a fair amount of CRP in the area.. that (doubt it would be THAT bad..) but could get alot of property.. homes.. etc.. in area's.

( https://www.facebook.com/mccollum12/photos/a.1410589015935366.107374...

Something needs to be done to fix this..

Anderson Creek Fire.. miles and miles of damaged fence.. need rain to start the regrowth.. milk replacer for nursing calfs.. etc.. slow recovery process.. but thanks for all the help and prayers..  It's appreciated.

400,000 acres of grass "gone" some cattle turned out on wheat.. "no choice."  It's either the wheat crop or the cow herd...  those green area's are probably the wheat crop just to the east of the burn area.. the brown area's are a mix of pasture/CRP and wheat.. as I say.. we need more pasture.. especially now.

got to go.. later. 

Edited by JonSCKs 4/4/2016 08:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)