AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinions on these Beans - Please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 6/23/2015 14:42 (#4642277)
Subject: Opinions on these Beans - Please

NE Iowa
These pics are from beans on a farm that I've rented for 5 years now.

Background: When I took over it could have won an ugly soil test contest. PH was 5.8, P levels in single digits ppm, and K was also very low. Applied 3 ton of ag lime after the first years but being no-till was not incorporated. First couple years applied 200# potash and 200# of DAP and grew excellent corn. Went to beans in '13 and they sucked. Averaged 45 when all my other farms were about 65. It was the first time that farm had ever seen beans. I double inoculated and soil test still showed low N and low Mo. I blame the low yield on low pH (lime not on long enough to work yet) and inoculant failure (GraphEx-SA). 2014 had 200 bu/acre corn again.

2015: Drilled about 165K of beans in 8" rows about 5/1. Seed was treated, had Mo applied, and a double rate of N-Charge-S inoculant. Sprayed pre off the drill and applied 4 oz. Sencor, 3 pt. of generic Extreme, and 1 pt of generic Dual. Have had excellent weather and weed control is pretty good with no post applications yet.

Looking for input from others: These beans seam behind my other farms planted at roughly the same time. How do they look to you? Should they be darker green? Maybe I'm paranoid because the '13 bean crop was bad in these fields. Should I tissue test? Or just spray them next week and see what happens? How do they look to you?

(beans 014.jpg)

(beans 015.jpg)

(beans 016.jpg)

(beans 017.jpg)

(beans 018.jpg)

(beans 019.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments beans 014.jpg (65KB - 242 downloads)
Attachments beans 015.jpg (69KB - 247 downloads)
Attachments beans 016.jpg (68KB - 248 downloads)
Attachments beans 017.jpg (92KB - 236 downloads)
Attachments beans 018.jpg (47KB - 221 downloads)
Attachments beans 019.jpg (55KB - 234 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)