AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hog building questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

timis
Posted 8/14/2017 10:49 (#6185896)
Subject: Hog building questions

Iowa
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a hog building - it will be my first one - would like some input from others. In my situation it seems to make sense.

Sizing- debating 2400hd vs 1200hd. Everyone says the 2400 is less/space to build as you have more pigs to spread out fixed expenses on like office and water and electricity (setup cost). What scares about the size is then I borrow I higher percentage-- given the economics in the row crop side getting leveraged could restrict future plans. Everyone says chores should take similar time - so 2400 does have advantages. Where it'd be located I have no use for more manure than 1200hd.

Who to sign with -- got chances at some of the "big guys" or local coop offers a program where they gaurentee it'll be filled for x years. I trust my local guys, not sure if I really trust the bigger ones.

Ventilation style - tunnel or curtain. If I go one direction or another does it restrict my future? Signing with big guys means they have their own plans.

As a general rule I am not a big risk taker -- im 35 and have seen guys go under in past year or so- I'm sure more will in next couple years as well - which has made me more cautious.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)