AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Velvac air cylinder seals?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

redhunter
Posted 3/7/2016 20:01 (#5162023)
Subject: Velvac air cylinder seals?

Owensville, MO
Got a 2.5 inch velvac air cylinder to accuate the tailgate latch on my dump truck. I could hear it slowly leaking air so I pulled it off today and took it apart figuring it would just be an o-ring on the end cap that needed replaced. There is a groove cast into the endcap that the cylinder fits into and what looks like a thin rubbery gasket in the bottom of that groove to seal the two pieces. Those gaskets didn't make it through the disassembly process so I now need to come up with something to use as a seal. Was wondering if by chance anyone had ever had the same issue and what has worked to make seals with? Cylinder measures 2.5 I.D. and 2.75 O.D. so what I need is a thin ring with those dimensions to fit down in that groove. I've got about every type of gasket maker in the shop. thought about a thin layer of that in the bottom of the groove then bolt it up???? Also considered cutting them out of inner tube and using that. Right now that is what I'm leaning towards unless you guys can give me some better advice. Buying a new cylinder is an option but not one I will consider until I completely FUBAR this one.

thanks

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)