AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

did some infiltration tests
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 5/18/2021 08:43 (#9011357)
Subject: did some infiltration tests

Clark SD

Got started doing some water infiltration tests. The first one i did sure surprised me, by the time i poured the equivalent of 1 inch of water in a 2.59 inch inside diameter tube inserted in the soil (86 ml of water) the water infiltrated before i could start the timer. I did a second test a day later in the same area but instead over the the seed row, as opposed to over the area that was in between the planted corn which was the first test, the second test it took 40 seconds for the water to infiltrate.
 I did a test in a alfalfa field that was terminated with herbicides and no-tilled to corn, one test was on the end of the field where compaction might have been a issue, it took 5 minutes and 23 seconds to infiltrate 1 inch of water. In another part of the field with less traffic it took 46 seconds for the first inch to infiltrate and 6 minutes and13 seconds for the 2nd inch to disappear.
  Now the one that surprised me the most was a tilled soil, both last fall and this spring and was corn last year. I checked the soil moisture before hand and could not make a ball with my hand and the soil was loose, i thought that the water would infiltrate real fast, it took 1 minute and 11 seconds for the first inch which isn't too bad, but the 2nd inch was very slow, after 39 minutes it still had .5 inch of water on top of the soil. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)