AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone remember the AIDS epidemic?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Steigermorepower
Posted 5/18/2021 07:51 (#9011266 - in reply to #9010985)
Subject: RE: Anyone remember the AIDS epidemic?

John Burns - 5/18/2021 02:54

I think I was a young adult when it was all in the news.

AIDS is still with us with quite a bit of it around as I understand it.

I can't remember for sure the length of the mania but it seems like it was a huge topic for a couple years where everyone was afraid of catching it. Being around someone who has it, kissing someone who has it, touching someone who has it. Almost like ancient leprosy where there was an impulse from the public to banish anyone who has it to some distant island because even being in the same room with someone with AIDS they might become infected.

Now most people don't give it a second thought. We learned it was not as big of deal as was originally thought. A bad disease, for sure. Bad enough that a lot of people died from it. And something no one wants to have even today.

But the fear mongering passed eventually and life went on. Society learned to manage it and live with it.

Didn't they try to make a vaccine? Eventually I think they just learned how to properly to treat it.

If you touched girls you died.
If you touched drugs you died.
This is the era of having a whole auditorium full of young kids and explaining how to fit a condom.

Madd program was going strong.
Very interesting times.
Posters amd not just a few(everywhere) basically explaining how you could die or ruin your life.

People like to focus on specific problems.

Good or bad I don’t know.

You got to smile when your teacher is explaining condoms.
Then explaining there not 100% effective.
Then explaining why.

Interesting topic
I had a pen pal in Sweden I sent a picture of our school. Halls lined with posters. Classes lined with posters.
It was just the times.
I wouldn’t have changed it but very funny.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)