AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Always been curious about HS sports
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jtpfarm
Posted 5/18/2021 08:17 (#9011309 - in reply to #9011002)
Subject: RE: Always been curious about HS sports

mn
Boone & Crockett - 5/18/2021 04:19

jtpfarm - 5/17/2021 14:36

The sports are a good thing, but too much time and money is spent on them. Not enough in skills to prepare kits for actual life. Think of the kind of kids we would have if we put as much emphasis on home ec, budgeting, and other basic life skills. Instead those are ignored or gone all together. Its sports, sports, sports. Enough that it burns kids out. Our town of 3000 is building a $19 million gymnasium so they will now have 3 of them. They claim to need it because they are starting kids in 5th grade and its practice, practice, practice almost year round. The kids have no time for anything else between that and school work.

I played some basketball in 7th and 8th grade. Decided sports weren't for me. Started racing dirt track in 9th grade and continued for 11 years. That experience taught me far more than sports ever could have. Mainly because I didnt have the school breathing down my neck 24/7. They even tried to punish me for not being in sports. But every kid learns differently.
I played a lot of high school sports, not one moment did I have my school “breathing down my neck”, let alone 24/7. As a matter of fact, in my school anyway, most of the bullies were the guys that were not in the liberal arts, or sports, either one. I had a few of the liberal arts kids come to me and ask for protection because of those clowns picking on them. Most of the time, all it took was a few words from me, and the bullying stopped. Couple times I had to become more persuasive when the talk didn’t work.

Basically the opposite here. School was constantly telling the sports players what they could and couldn't do. Senior skip day, parties, events, and the list goes on. If you attended or didn't attend the events they chose, you were out of sports. The bullies were most definitely the sports players in our school.

I got a minor consumption ticket when I was 16. The school wanted me to do community service. When asked why, they said because they can't kick me out of sports due to not being in any.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)