AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Minnesota dredge ditch/ buffer strip question .....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 5/17/2021 07:27 (#9009334 - in reply to #9007911)
Subject: RE: Minnesota dredge ditch/ buffer strip question .....

KY

I was dumb enough to enroll some buffers several years ago (for compensation).  This wasn't pre-internet handy satellite imagery, but not as widely used then as now.  They flew over one of my farms and hit me with a fine for being under the width requirements... I know I was good unless there was some washout or something I hadn't seen that put that one spot under the regs... on a 50 foot buffer I was never under 52 feet... I went and has a sit down with the FSA Manager and had an NRCS rep in there as well.. "out of our hands" was my answer over and over... Luckily it was final year (of course), I refused to pay the fine and wound up forfeiting my payments on the rest of the buffers that year (so I guess I kinda paid it in a roundabout way), but I unenrolled them all following that fiasco.  No more special programs for me.  I did however in most places adopt a 13/14 foot strip around the far sides and along creeks, so that I can mow around them during the summer and get a truck/utv around all sides to reach the field better for scouting.  It's worth giving that little bit up for me, also gives me a little wiggle room opening up a field in case I have an issue I'm not surrounded by crop on one side and creek/ditch/trees on the other.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)