AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exporting Yield Data out of Apex
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

gwagner
Posted 11/22/2006 08:19 (#64406 - in reply to #64164)
Subject: RE: Exporting Yield Data out of Apex

Bryan,

Ya, I have experienced the same frustration with exporting yield data out of Apex. Through much conversation with stellar support and others within AMS, the data is exported in either grams (or kilograms, can’t remember right now) per square meter. Any way if you multiply each polygon by 2.2 your yield will be very close to bushels per acre. (Don’t ask me why an American company selling to American farms would export in this manner. All you can do is shake your head.) I was also told possibly (and I haven’t heard in the past month) AMS might have a stand alone export to address this problem before the new release. I don’t think we should hold our breath too long.

As for speed, I was told this was going to be addressed in the next version due in early 2007. As you stated, your data is exported in polygons, which for the most of us, does not work very well, points would be much better. But this is also the problem with speed within Apex. Because of all the data being stored in polygons and redundant data within each record, the database grows tremendously with each layer added, thus more processing.

JD will get it right, but what I don’t understand we purchase $300,000 combines, $200,000 tractors, why they are willing to alienate a good customer with a $400 software package. I have to tip my hat to Agco for not willing to loose an iron sale because of software. But in defense of AMS, I really believe when the day is done they will have an open architecture (and this was stressed over and over again in my conversations) and the data will flow from one software package to the next easily, but AMS has to get their own software working properly first. I think the jury is still out, if the next release comes out with the same problems as the first, we as customers will have to vote by not buying iron. And it is interesting when you tell your local dealer you will not purchase that piece of equipment it really gets their attention.

As a great philosopher stated “Patience is a virtue” , but JD needs to understand only for so long!

In my humble opinion,
gary

Edited by gwagner 11/22/2006 08:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)