AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbors won’t fix their tile, what would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mschultz
Posted 5/9/2021 21:12 (#8996822 - in reply to #8996514)
Subject: RE: Neighbors won’t fix their tile, what would you do?

Oregon
First things first. Did your predecessor grant the neighbor an easement? Second, was that document recorded in the country records office? Third, what does it say- Does it address the right to repair when grantee does not maintain the waterwork?

Assuming there was no written and recorded easement grant, I recommend you talk to legal counsel about your right to prevent harm to your your property. A well drafted letter to the neighbor might bring them to the right side of things. (You said that you "left a message" about the issue. You might try a certified letter.) Then, if they fail to step up, that written document will help protect you if you exercise a right to prevent harm to your property- including defending yourself from any claims they may bring (plugging it up) and increasing the likelihood of your being reimbursed for your costs- should you elect to repair. In other words, spend $900 now and save yourself several times that amount wasted on screwing around in the future.

Obviously you had the resources to buy ground a couple years ago, so I recommend spending the resources on legal counsel now so you best protect your assets. If you do not have a lawyer you like, many will offer a free consultation and, should you retain them, you can put a price cap on any scope of work you authorize. This way you do not get bled on a simple matter.

Finally- I am not saying "get a lawyer and go after them." I am saying, if the easement language is not clear, spend some resources on understanding your legal rights so you know which remedies are legal and which are a bit more Western. Then you can make an informed decision about how you want to proceed and sleep at night not worrying about.

-Mike

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)